A whisker of a trend
I’ve always been a fan of Melbourne-based designer Beci Orpin’s label Princess Tina (she of quirky and cool sterling silver jewellery pieces) and I really dig her fun approach to fashion. One of my favourite necklaces is her sterling silver raincloud, which never fails to attract comments whenever I wear it. And how cool are her happy/sad teeth accessories?
So I pounced on her latest look-book when it arrived in my inbox last week, and I couldn’t help but notice the recurring cat motifs throughout her collection. And a quick look around revealed that there’s more than a passing interest in kittens at the moment. Take, for instance, the leading image for Topshop’s new S/S 08 collection:
Kute kitty, indeed! Now, I must confess at this stage that whilst I’m firmly in the “dog camp” when it comes to the dog/cat divide, I do have a few feline friends (shout out to Toby in Sydney, Kubie in Melbourne, and Oscar in the flat downstairs). But enough of that purring. Take a look at some other fab feline finds:
Top row, from left to right:
1. Summer Cats, Scratching Post EP. I know, I never (and shouldn’t!) write about music, but how could I resist two of the cutest album covers around? Twee album art aside, this Melbourne band is seriously good if you’re into sweet sunshine-y indie pop. (And I am.) Former Earthmen lead singer Scott Steven’s soaring vocals deliver a tasty treat not to be missed. Check them out on their myspace page now.
2. Cat print tee, £16, from Topshop.
3. Pink and brown cat kitchen tea towel, US$14, from PataPri’s Etsy shop. (Ack, this just sold-out, but check back again in a few days and it might be up again.)
Second row, from left to right:
1. Two-headed kitten necklace, US$186, from Anomaly Jewelry’s Etsy shop.
2. Perspex cat brooch from Princess Tina (available late February 2008). See online stockists such as www.orderandprogress.com.au, www.giantrobot.com and www.magic-pony.com.
3. Fawn G Canvas Critters, US$16, from Urban Outfitters (thanks to Print & Pattern for the pointer).
Third row, from left to right:
1. Bitey cat tote bag by Ferdinand, US$20, from The Curiosity Shoppe.
2. Lush life cat with bird limited edition print, US$35, from MatteArt’s Etsy shop.
3. Hand-embroidered Majic Cats Mini in Purple Mystery, US$55, from Flying Star Toy’s Etsy shop.
Fourth row, from left to right:
1. Cat print tee, by Princess Tina. (Not available until late February 2008). (Stockists as before).
2. Summer Cats single (as before).
3. Sabuda Pop-Up Cat Note Cards, US$21.95 for a set of eight, from MoMA.